Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,657 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,005
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Star Wars: The Old Republic 

General Discussion  » Why I will not be resubbing to STWOR

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
84 posts found
  NMStudio

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/28/11
Posts: 386

12/20/11 11:37:34 AM#41
Originally posted by ukforze
Originally posted by Metentso

SWTOR is not a themepark MMOG. SWTOR is an hybrid between a SPG and an themepark MMOG.

Seriously people, trying to claim that SWTOR is not an MMORPG just makes you sound ignorant.  You don't have to like the game, and we definitely don't want you playing it, but at least try to make an intelligent argument if you want to talk badly about a game.

  ftAnPucr9

Novice Member

Joined: 11/20/05
Posts: 26

12/20/11 11:50:13 AM#42

Only had to watch a Youtube with STWOR beta to refuse subbing at all. Saw one getting a quest to go killling 10 mobs. Allright this same stuff all over again, no thanks.

Please game developers come up with some new spectacular idea.

  sonoggi

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/22/09
Posts: 1151

12/20/11 11:53:01 AM#43

EVE is a lot of fun, and should hold a lot of people off until GW2. GW2 will completely change the scene because it will encourage grouping, and the world wont feel dead.

  Kuinn

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/10/11
Posts: 1989

12/20/11 11:53:34 AM#44
Originally posted by elistrange

The reason I am not resubbing  is that I am so burned out on theme park games that I don't think I can play them anymore. The do this, do that, to ride our roller coaster and do what everyone else is doing just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I was hoping that my interest would hold...because I did spend serious money to play this game. 

I do plan on at least playing till my subscription ends.

I have already returned to EVE, where I am the CEO of a small time mining operation... 

 

I was also dissapointed in MW3 because I thought it was going to be a roleplaying game, turns out it's a retro shooter.

  Creslin321

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 2/27/09
Posts: 5424

12/20/11 11:53:44 AM#45
Originally posted by NMStudio
Originally posted by ukforze
Originally posted by Metentso

SWTOR is not a themepark MMOG. SWTOR is an hybrid between a SPG and an themepark MMOG.

Seriously people, trying to claim that SWTOR is not an MMORPG just makes you sound ignorant.  You don't have to like the game, and we definitely don't want you playing it, but at least try to make an intelligent argument if you want to talk badly about a game.

How does being a hybrid between an SPG and a themepark MMORPG make it not be an MMORPG?

Personally, I think the statement is fairly accurate.  SWTOR takes a lot of elements from BW SPRPG like KOTOR and merges them with a lot of elements from WoW.  This, in no way, makes it "not an MMORPG."  It is still an MMORPG, but it DOES take a lot of elements from an SPRPG.

If you deny this...then I think you are smoking crack or you never played the game.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

  ukforze

Novice Member

Joined: 7/01/06
Posts: 367

12/20/11 12:01:35 PM#46

I get the feeling im playing single player as i don't see any people,

it's all so so instanced (even more so then other new mmo's)

Then theres the 1-3hr cues been going on from the pre-order 13th till todays launch 20th,

Plus i've only seen 1 of 66 guild mates & then theres the cinematic...

 

The cinematics alone call into question this 'single player' feature with co-op controls, as it

causes issues with some players wanting to watch & others spamming 'spacebar'.

 

Its a single player in a co-op/mmg build, its not a 'proper mmo' imo ...neither was.... APB,

STO, WoT... this seems to be a new genre of mmo's as such  'Watered down themparks'

 

Theres no new fatures or innovation to boast about this game, its just another 'meh' mmo

but with a MASSIVE IP

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Played:
SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

  Yamota

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/05/03
Posts: 6506

"I fight so you don't have to."

12/20/11 12:01:37 PM#47
Originally posted by Creslin321
Originally posted by NMStudio
Originally posted by ukforze
Originally posted by Metentso

SWTOR is not a themepark MMOG. SWTOR is an hybrid between a SPG and an themepark MMOG.

Seriously people, trying to claim that SWTOR is not an MMORPG just makes you sound ignorant.  You don't have to like the game, and we definitely don't want you playing it, but at least try to make an intelligent argument if you want to talk badly about a game.

How does being a hybrid between an SPG and a themepark MMORPG make it not be an MMORPG?

Personally, I think the statement is fairly accurate.  SWTOR takes a lot of elements from BW SPRPG like KOTOR and merges them with a lot of elements from WoW.  This, in no way, makes it "not an MMORPG."  It is still an MMORPG, but it DOES take a lot of elements from an SPRPG.

If you deny this...then I think you are smoking crack or you never played the game.

Depends on what you consider an MMORPG. If your only requirement is that 1000+ people connect to same server then yes it is an MMORPG and so is Star Trek Online, Guild Wars etc

However for me, an MMORPG needs to somehow have massively amounts of people interacting in a meaningful way and Themeparks are already weak in this area and SW:TOR continues this trend by completely instancing your characters main storyline in a way that it is somehow completely detached from the other thousand people on the server.

This is what I would call SORPG or MORPG. It is online but the experience is mostly single player or limited multiplayer, in no way is it massive. The only exception to this I guess is that endgame PvP zone which has a cap of 200 people which could potentially fight it out against each other. Other than that I cant see anything else which could be considered Massively Multiplayer experience. 

  ftAnPucr9

Novice Member

Joined: 11/20/05
Posts: 26

12/20/11 12:12:34 PM#48

Seems auction houses and trading is the only massive part in games lately since everybody go hiding in guilds and only do stuff with them.

  OkhamsRazor

Novice Member

Joined: 7/08/10
Posts: 1066

12/20/11 12:14:18 PM#49

Usually to posts like the OPs I suggest trying EVE but hes already there :P

  Ethian

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/26/09
Posts: 1237

12/20/11 12:28:42 PM#50
Originally posted by elistrange

First, I would like to say that I have been a life long Star Wars Fan, and I have even read quite a few of the novels. 

Second, surprsingly the not awesome graphics of STWOR does not bother me.

Third, I did enjoy the effort of being story line based.

Fourth, I don't mind the instancing or the fact that I always seem to be the only person I see...of course, this may change today...and after christmas it will even become more crowded I assume.

Fifth, the crafting is easy and I barely really have to do anything.

 

The reason I am not resubbing  is that I am so burned out on theme park games that I don't think I can play them anymore. The do this, do that, to ride our roller coaster and do what everyone else is doing just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I was hoping that my interest would hold...because I did spend serious money to play this game. 

I do plan on at least playing till my subscription ends.

I have already returned to EVE, where I am the CEO of a small time mining operation... 

 

 

 

 

We'll see many more of these posts as time goes one. Huge hype for a game that brings nothing new to the table except graphically out-dated cut-scenes and linear gameplay. Its Bioware not sure what you all expected lol.

 

Another IP goes to waste to the themepark crowd so they can run around like lemmings making the dev team rich rofl... Thanks Turbine / EA / Bioware!! 

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2paFdRw_U

  User Deleted
12/20/11 12:32:20 PM#51

mmo's are like a lesser version of zelda games (meaning the game isn't as thoroughly covered over with its quests and using an environment with many people as a substitute)

  Ethian

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/26/09
Posts: 1237

12/20/11 12:34:54 PM#52
Originally posted by ftAnPucr9

Only had to watch a Youtube with STWOR beta to refuse subbing at all. Saw one getting a quest to go killling 10 mobs. Allright this same stuff all over again, no thanks.

Please game developers come up with some new spectacular idea.

Its a shame so many people are buying and subbing to the crap because its making Bioware and EA aton of money which in turn causes new games to follow the same themepark theme to make money. No AAA company has the balls to try something new because their all a bunch of scared sissies lol. Until someone grows some balls we have to deal with the crap MMOs coming out these days...

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2paFdRw_U

  Rhoklaw

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/04
Posts: 2982

$500 Backer to 2014's Top New MMO... The Repopulation!

12/20/11 12:39:37 PM#53
Originally posted by elistrange

First, I would like to say that I have been a life long Star Wars Fan, and I have even read quite a few of the novels. 

Second, surprsingly the not awesome graphics of STWOR does not bother me.

Third, I did enjoy the effort of being story line based.

Fourth, I don't mind the instancing or the fact that I always seem to be the only person I see...of course, this may change today...and after christmas it will even become more crowded I assume.

Fifth, the crafting is easy and I barely really have to do anything.

 

The reason I am not resubbing  is that I am so burned out on theme park games that I don't think I can play them anymore. The do this, do that, to ride our roller coaster and do what everyone else is doing just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I was hoping that my interest would hold...because I did spend serious money to play this game. 

I do plan on at least playing till my subscription ends.

I have already returned to EVE, where I am the CEO of a small time mining operation... 

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, the games you speak of enjoying... the "sandbox" version of MMO's are not very popular at the moment. Lets take a look at some of them to compare how they are stacking up against "themepark" games.

Darkfall, Mortal Online, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies and some that I can't remember.

Do you seriously think any of the games I mentioned are doing better then the themepark games? I'm not disagreeing with you, as I think SWG was probably the best approach to making Star Wars feel like Star Wars, but I guess if SWTOR is selling millions of copies of the game, then we must bow down to what the masses want.

When a developer finally realizes you don't have to have open world FFA PvP with full loot in a sandbox game, maybe they'll will become more interesting. Until then, the gankfest ridden sandbox games will remain in the destined to be tainted category. Sandbox games of this sort, much like FPS / TPS games only breed cheaters and what makes cheating different in these types of games is that it DOES affect OUR gameplay.

  User Deleted
12/20/11 12:42:10 PM#54

it would be a very unique circumstance for a sandbox to be 'the' excitement

 

"a sandbox everyone! a sandbox!"

Everyone runs over..

"Wow!"

"It looks so grand!"

"Its the best sandbox I ever saw!"

  User Deleted
12/20/11 12:49:23 PM#55
Originally posted by ukforze

I get the feeling im playing single player as i don't see any people,

it's all so so instanced (even more so then other new mmo's)

Then theres the 1-3hr cues been going on from the pre-order 13th till todays launch 20th,

Plus i've only seen 1 of 66 guild mates & then theres the cinematic...

 

The cinematics alone call into question this 'single player' feature with co-op controls, as it

causes issues with some players wanting to watch & others spamming 'spacebar'.

 

Its a single player in a co-op/mmg build, its not a 'proper mmo' imo ...neither was.... APB,

STO, WoT... this seems to be a new genre of mmo's as such  'Watered down themparks'

 

Theres no new fatures or innovation to boast about this game, its just another 'meh' mmo

but with a MASSIVE IP

 

This game is as much a single player game as World of Warcraft, Everquest 2 and LOTRO. All of these games use instancing and have solo quests, yet none of these have been called single player.

Theres tonnes of open world group content if you actually leave the starter planet.

  citan79

Novice Member

Joined: 2/22/07
Posts: 88

12/20/11 12:55:59 PM#56

Sandbox games do not make cheaters... there are cheaters in both theme park and sandbox games..    ninja looting, or using people to get to a certain point then dumping them  in pve on theme games exists .   cheaters exist everywhere... saying that "sandbox" breeds cheaters is ignorant. 

FFA is not bad,  as it lets people show their real colors.  YOu cannot mouth off like a spaztic teenager and act like a deliquent without getting put in your place.   Even if there are a huge group of "bad" people running amuck they will be put in there place or you join them.   pretty simple.  people learn to govern themselves and stronger community bonds are made in game since trusting someone takes time.  kinda like in real life.. 

 

The only thing most sandbox games need removed is death penalty since that can set you back quite a bit in an ffa game.  losing your gear is too hardcore for some people and after a while it was too hardcore for me when I played asherons call. 

 

I think every game should include an ffa server that comes as is with no developement put into it.  no gripes allowed on the boards unless it is a mechanics exploit b8ut it should not detract attention from the real game. 

Putting one ffa server in with every game would let developers guage if people are ready for a fulll FFA type game in the future.  Considering MMOS start off with a ton of servers on launch and then consolidate later it would not be a big deal to make one ffa. 

 

 

 

  Hauken

Novice Member

Joined: 3/22/06
Posts: 650

12/20/11 1:01:42 PM#57

I went for the 6 month plan...

Hauken Stormchaser
I want pre-CU back
Station.com : We got your game
Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

  Madimorga

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/26/10
Posts: 1997

12/20/11 1:06:54 PM#58

Actually, I found that the mouthiest, worst players were the ones roaming around in groups slaughtering everyone.  The last thing on earth I'd want to do is join them. 

 

I agree with Rhoklaw.  AAA developers need to realize they can make a sandbox without FFA pvp.   

 

I wouldn't mind if there were areas in a hybrid or sandbox with FFA pvp or faction pvp, but there should also be large areas where players can build, craft, explore, and pve without having to worry about the pvp crowd.

 

I'd like to see a game where you also have personal property (a house, a bit of land to develop if that's part of the game, a workshop), and also have the option of joining a guild and working together with others to create a guild hall or town.  That way, if you ever leave your guild, you're not left with nothing and nowhere to go.  Better yet, if guild property is all siegable, you can enjoy large scale pvp without giving up your little square of personal property in a safe area.

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein

  AdamTM

Novice Member

Joined: 5/05/05
Posts: 1395

I'M PUNCHING YOUR SALAD!!!!

12/20/11 1:07:58 PM#59
Originally posted by citan79

Sandbox games do not make cheaters... there are cheaters in both theme park and sandbox games..    ninja looting, or using people to get to a certain point then dumping them  in pve on theme games exists .   cheaters exist everywhere... saying that "sandbox" breeds cheaters is ignorant. 

FFA is not bad,  as it lets people show their real colors.  YOu cannot mouth off like a spaztic teenager and act like a deliquent without getting put in your place.   Even if there are a huge group of "bad" people running amuck they will be put in there place or you join them.   pretty simple.  people learn to govern themselves and stronger community bonds are made in game since trusting someone takes time.  kinda like in real life.. 

 

The only thing most sandbox games need removed is death penalty since that can set you back quite a bit in an ffa game.  losing your gear is too hardcore for some people and after a while it was too hardcore for me when I played asherons call. 

 

I think every game should include an ffa server that comes as is with no developement put into it.  no gripes allowed on the boards unless it is a mechanics exploit b8ut it should not detract attention from the real game. 

Putting one ffa server in with every game would let developers guage if people are ready for a fulll FFA type game in the future.  Considering MMOS start off with a ton of servers on launch and then consolidate later it would not be a big deal to make one ffa. 

FFA PVP is not a defining feature of sandbox

  AdamTM

Novice Member

Joined: 5/05/05
Posts: 1395

I'M PUNCHING YOUR SALAD!!!!

12/20/11 1:09:51 PM#60
Originally posted by Madimorga

Actually, I found that the mouthiest, worst players were the ones roaming around in groups slaughtering everyone.  The last thing on earth I'd want to do is join them. 

 

I agree with Rhoklaw.  AAA developers need to realize they can make a sandbox without FFA pvp.   

 

I wouldn't mind if there were areas in a hybrid or sandbox with FFA pvp or faction pvp, but there should also be large areas where players can build, craft, explore, and pve without having to worry about the pvp crowd.

 

I'd like to see a game where you also have personal property (a house, a bit of land to develop if that's part of the game, a workshop), and also have the option of joining a guild and working together with others to create a guild hall or town.  That way, if you ever leave your guild, you're not left with nothing and nowhere to go.  Better yet, if guild property is all siegable, you can enjoy large scale pvp without giving up your little square of personal property in a safe area.

Youwill like this article: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/AleksanderAdamkiewicz/20111216/9115/The_case_for_a_AAA_sandbox_MMO.php

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search