Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Darkest Dungeon | Trove

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,773,948 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,187,841
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

General Discussion

General Discussion 

The Pub at MMORPG.COM  » Is it possible to be immersed in an mmo nowadays?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
64 posts found
  skaterx2

Novice Member

Joined: 4/12/11
Posts: 20

4/13/11 12:14:50 PM#41

Darkfall = immersion.

  Axehilt

Novice Member

Joined: 5/09/09
Posts: 7213

4/13/11 12:50:04 PM#42
Originally posted by skaterx2

Darkfall = immersion.

Yeah most MMORPGs are marred with unrealistic graphics and situations, but the times I walked away from my computer while AFK-swimming, AFK-gathering, or AFK-crafting were some of the most immersive, realistic experiences I've ever had while playing a MMORPG!  It was like I really was cooking stir fry, or buying groceries, or reading a book!

  Aganazer

Novice Member

Joined: 11/20/08
Posts: 1328

4/13/11 1:48:34 PM#43
Originally posted by Cefka

I can still get pretty immersed in DDO (PvE is very immersive) and could get immersed in WAR (While PvPing) DAoC (in both PvP and PvE) when I played them. But could never get immersed in WoW or Rift

It realy just depends on what breaks the immerssion to you. Having the feeling that what you're doing is more than just filling a grocery list can be enough most of the time.

DDO works for me somewhat. Graphically they capture the dark dank dungeon feel pretty well. The combat keeps my mind on the fight rather than the hotbar. The AI can do enough interesting things to keep me engaged rather than repeating the same rotation. The dungeon mechanics such as locks, secrets, keys, traps, and puzzles offer enough variety to keep things fresh even when I already know the dungeon. On the other hand, once I step outside the dungeon its clear I am just going on rides in the theme park. Good rides though.

 

Spellborn was very immersive to me. No quick travel. No quest markers. Loads of interesting lore. NPC's that actually keep in touch with you as time goes on. The AI responded with some self preservation. The world was somewhat consistent with farms and homes making it feel lived in. It took a bit of effort to handle the slower pacing of the game, but it was well worth it up to a point. So much potential if only they could have filled in the obvious flaws in the game's design.

 

We really need an Arx Fatalis, Ultima Underworld, Risen, or Gothic inspired MMOG with enough attention to detail that it feels like a real world.

  mastersomrat

Novice Member

Joined: 12/17/10
Posts: 365

4/13/11 2:17:47 PM#44

At this point, I would say no....The issue isn't graphics.  It's because Dev's simply don't know how to make a proper MMO.  I shouldn't say all Dev's, just most. 

WoW and most others = Grind fest (once you hit max lvl, then what - thats right - grind for better rep, grind for better armor, grind for something and why - so you'll be better than the guy next to you.  Don't get me wrong, WoW was my first mmo and played it for 4 year (but only because I didn't know any better...hehe)

VG= I didn;t play it at release because I was into WoW (Heard it was brokex20000 at release).  I did try it a few month ago and was vary nice...open world, crafting better that most, Housing better than most, though I think because of release issue, they lost most subs.

EVE=ok crafting system and great occon, but lets face it, I can't stay in a ship forever.  Travel-OMG.

FE=again, crafting ok and thats it, besides some quests, there is nothing to do.

EQ=never played.

EQ2=Crafting is similar to WoW and many other which is laim, Houseing was ok byt let face it-instanced...really?

WURM=Crafting rocks but graphics from the 50's I think.  Lots to do but it takes to long to do anything.

Xsyon=Haven't play'd...yet

The bottom line is, no-one has made a mmo with everything in it yet.  Someone need to develope a mmo in modern day times (The secret world), with progression systems like (FE, EVEt), Few quests for specific roles, Mainly quest made by players), Craftng as indepth as WURM, EVE, FE, Drops should in no way be better than crafted items (if anything, drops should be special items like mounts, special ingrediant for crafted items, etc),  Yes player housing (again indepth crafting to get it down), Players should be able to change the world, Player should be able to leave the world (maybe something like once you get crafting to a certain point, you craft a ship and are able to go to another planet), Good combat.  you get the point...All this and good graphics and you might find everyone in the world playing it.

  Meltdown

Hard Core Member

Joined: 8/09/03
Posts: 1189

4/13/11 2:32:36 PM#45

A few things contribute to the "immersion" of an MMO I have found:

1. Perspective. Those who played EQ, Mortal Online Darkfall, even games like Oblivion or Morrowind would agree that there is a certain amount of immersion caused by forced first person perspectives. 3rd person games can have immersion, but I think its much more difficult to pull off and needs to rely more heavily on the other points here.

2. Amount of time in-game. It's an old chicken or the egg riddle. Spending lots of times in a game causes you to become much more immersed, greying the line between reality and the game-world, but people might not spend more time in-game unless they become immersed. Some of the older games people talk about what made them so "great" such as no instant-travel, grouping-only combat, and very difficult leveling. All these are timesinks which cause you to get attached to your character and the game. It's harder to get attached to newer games that are made for 30 minute play-time and pushes players away by breaking immersion with real life. Just look at UO's numbers and the way people viewed the game after the introduction of "power hour", no time sink, no immersion.

3. The world is alive. Someone already mentioned this, but WoW does a good job of creating a world that does not feel empty. Even if server populations are low, NPCs are walking around, critters are abound and monsters might even fight with eachother. The game world needs to feel alive even if no one else is there! Some single player games did this very well such as Freelancer.

4. Emotional Ties. If you are emotionally de-tached from the game, then you will never feel immersed and more connected to your character. This is often explained by "fanbois" as things like perma-death, corpse recovery, epic quest lines (taking weeks if not months to complete), full-loot PvP, open PvP ,etc. Basically anything that causes you to react emotionally to a situation. I do not limit this to social interactions, but they can be included here as well. Feeling hurt after being scammed out of items, or feeling scared running through a high level zone to finish a quest.

**edit**

I also forgot the biggest one!!! Windowed mode... being able to switch between your AIM window and your game breaks immersion every single time you do it.

 

tl;dr

1. Forced Perspective

2. Time spent in-game

3. World feels alive

4. Emotional ties to the game

5. Forced full-screen mode

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

  nariusseldon

Elite Member

Joined: 12/21/07
Posts: 19248

4/13/11 2:57:13 PM#46
Originally posted by Aganazer
Originally posted by Cefka

I can still get pretty immersed in DDO (PvE is very immersive) and could get immersed in WAR (While PvPing) DAoC (in both PvP and PvE) when I played them. But could never get immersed in WoW or Rift

It realy just depends on what breaks the immerssion to you. Having the feeling that what you're doing is more than just filling a grocery list can be enough most of the time.

DDO works for me somewhat. Graphically they capture the dark dank dungeon feel pretty well. The combat keeps my mind on the fight rather than the hotbar. The AI can do enough interesting things to keep me engaged rather than repeating the same rotation. The dungeon mechanics such as locks, secrets, keys, traps, and puzzles offer enough variety to keep things fresh even when I already know the dungeon. On the other hand, once I step outside the dungeon its clear I am just going on rides in the theme park. Good rides though.

 

Spellborn was very immersive to me. No quick travel. No quest markers. Loads of interesting lore. NPC's that actually keep in touch with you as time goes on. The AI responded with some self preservation. The world was somewhat consistent with farms and homes making it feel lived in. It took a bit of effort to handle the slower pacing of the game, but it was well worth it up to a point. So much potential if only they could have filled in the obvious flaws in the game's design.

 

We really need an Arx Fatalis, Ultima Underworld, Risen, or Gothic inspired MMOG with enough attention to detail that it feels like a real world.

 

I like DDO too. To me, the best selling point is the scripting sequence inside dungeons. It feels more dynamic (not truly so since it is the SAME sequence if you replay it) than WOW because there events happening inside the dungeon, not just boss fights.

DDO also has better difficulty control and you do NOT need a party of 5 (1, 3 or any number) to go through a dungeon.

  Xero_Chance

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/11/08
Posts: 527

4/13/11 3:05:12 PM#47


Originally posted by Meltdown

tl;dr
1. Forced Perspective
2. Time spent in-game
3. World feels alive
4. Emotional ties to the game
5. Forced full-screen mode


First person was not forced in Oblivion. It does help with immersion a little but the freedom to use either mode is a must. Cave diving was better in 1st person but open world fights were better as 3rd because you could see your flanks, each one has it's own tactical advantage.

I agree with the rest though, except for forced fullscreen, that seems kind of unnecessary.

  NightAngell

Novice Member

Joined: 7/07/10
Posts: 592

4/13/11 3:05:19 PM#48
Originally posted by Woopin

Or you could play a game with a mature community.

Yes this is it.

Low population i know but Vanguard hits all the right spots.

  Rohn

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/02/08
Posts: 3739

4/13/11 3:09:15 PM#49

Of course it's possible to be immersed, but some of that is just as dependent on the individual's taste as it is on the game.

Mortal Online is a very immersive experience to me.  Xsyon is as well.

Everyone's mileage will vary.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  Torik

Elite Member

Joined: 1/02/09
Posts: 2312

4/13/11 3:09:26 PM#50
Originally posted by Meltdown

A few things contribute to the "immersion" of an MMO I have found:

1. Perspective. Those who played EQ, Mortal Online Darkfall, even games like Oblivion or Morrowind would agree that there is a certain amount of immersion caused by forced first person perspectives. 3rd person games can have immersion, but I think its much more difficult to pull off and needs to rely more heavily on the other points here.

2. Amount of time in-game. It's an old chicken or the egg riddle. Spending lots of times in a game causes you to become much more immersed, greying the line between reality and the game-world, but people might not spend more time in-game unless they become immersed. Some of the older games people talk about what made them so "great" such as no instant-travel, grouping-only combat, and very difficult leveling. All these are timesinks which cause you to get attached to your character and the game. It's harder to get attached to newer games that are made for 30 minute play-time and pushes players away by breaking immersion with real life. Just look at UO's numbers and the way people viewed the game after the introduction of "power hour", no time sink, no immersion.

3. The world is alive. Someone already mentioned this, but WoW does a good job of creating a world that does not feel empty. Even if server populations are low, NPCs are walking around, critters are abound and monsters might even fight with eachother. The game world needs to feel alive even if no one else is there! Some single player games did this very well such as Freelancer.

4. Emotional Ties. If you are emotionally de-tached from the game, then you will never feel immersed and more connected to your character. This is often explained by "fanbois" as things like perma-death, corpse recovery, epic quest lines (taking weeks if not months to complete), full-loot PvP, open PvP ,etc. Basically anything that causes you to react emotionally to a situation. I do not limit this to social interactions, but they can be included here as well. Feeling hurt after being scammed out of items, or feeling scared running through a high level zone to finish a quest.

I have to disagree with your interpretation of points 2 and 4.

Time sinks can be both immersive and massive immersion breakers.  Any time sink that results in me wanting to alt-tab and read this site is goign to seriously break immersion.  Pretty much any involuntary, grindy time sink is going to kill immersion for me.   If the time sink is fun or challenging I will spend hours immersed in the game.  Make me spend tiem killing the same boring mobs over and over and I will start counting the specks of dust on the wall.

The emotional reaction thing can backfire on you.  It the emotional response is aimed at the in-game universe than you gain immersion (eg that evil troll tricked me into killing the wrong person but I will get my revenge on him in the next zone).  However, if the emotions are directed at other players and/or the devs you lose immersion since you are now thinking about out-of-game stuff while playing.

  Loke666

Elite Member

Joined: 10/29/07
Posts: 16452

4/13/11 3:12:11 PM#51
Originally posted by Rohn

Of course it's possible to be immersed, but some of that is just as dependent on the individual's taste as it is on the game.

Mortal Online is a very immersive experience to me.  Xsyon is as well.

Everyone's mileage will vary.

Well said.

  Meltdown

Hard Core Member

Joined: 8/09/03
Posts: 1189

4/13/11 3:17:25 PM#52
Originally posted by Torik
Originally posted by Meltdown

*snip*

I have to disagree with your interpretation of points 2 and 4.

Time sinks can be both immersive and massive immersion breakers.  Any time sink that results in me wanting to alt-tab and read this site is goign to seriously break immersion.  Pretty much any involuntary, grindy time sink is going to kill immersion for me.   If the time sink is fun or challenging I will spend hours immersed in the game.  Make me spend tiem killing the same boring mobs over and over and I will start counting the specks of dust on the wall.

The emotional reaction thing can backfire on you.  It the emotional response is aimed at the in-game universe than you gain immersion (eg that evil troll tricked me into killing the wrong person but I will get my revenge on him in the next zone).  However, if the emotions are directed at other players and/or the devs you lose immersion since you are now thinking about out-of-game stuff while playing.

I agree about the emotional part, also people might just up and quit the game if the reaction is too strong. Shawn Wolley being the extreme example here...

But I disagree on the timesink breaking immersion, maybe calling them a timesink causes a knee-jerk reaction to the idea. But the more time you spend away from the computer the less immersion you have, so keeping the player in front of the monitor is a must, whether the mechnic is a mindless grind or an epic quest either you time is passing as you are sitting in front of your computer.

I was very immersed in UO until I was introduced to EZ Macro and the power hour came out, then it become just another game where you grinded out your skills to the max level. Another example for me is Rift (although there might be other reasons why immersion was broken for me there) but I hit max level within 2 weeks and it was so fast that I had no attachment to the character and just quit the game. If it had taken me longer would I have been more reluctant to ditch my achievement of a maximum level character? Probably, this refers more to the psychology of games though, and how we rationalize time spent and creates this attachment.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

  Onarix

Novice Member

Joined: 4/06/11
Posts: 86

4/13/11 3:19:05 PM#53
Originally posted by Meltdown
Originally posted by Torik
Originally posted by Meltdown

*snip*

I have to disagree with your interpretation of points 2 and 4.

Time sinks can be both immersive and massive immersion breakers.  Any time sink that results in me wanting to alt-tab and read this site is goign to seriously break immersion.  Pretty much any involuntary, grindy time sink is going to kill immersion for me.   If the time sink is fun or challenging I will spend hours immersed in the game.  Make me spend tiem killing the same boring mobs over and over and I will start counting the specks of dust on the wall.

The emotional reaction thing can backfire on you.  It the emotional response is aimed at the in-game universe than you gain immersion (eg that evil troll tricked me into killing the wrong person but I will get my revenge on him in the next zone).  However, if the emotions are directed at other players and/or the devs you lose immersion since you are now thinking about out-of-game stuff while playing.

I agree about the emotional part, also people might just up and quit the game if the reaction is too strong. Shawn Wolley being the extreme example here...

But I disagree on the timesink breaking immersion, maybe calling them a timesink causes a knee-jerk reaction to the idea. But the more time you spend away from the computer the less immersion you have, so keeping the player in front of the monitor is a must, whether the mechnic is a mindless grind or an epic quest either you time is passing as you are sitting in front of your computer.

I was very immersed in UO until I was introduced to EZ Macro and the power hour came out, then it become just another game where you grinded out your skills to the max level. Another example for me is Rift (although there might be other reasons why immersion was broken for me there) but I hit max level within 2 weeks and it was so fast that I had no attachment to the character and just quit the game. If it had taken me longer would I have been more reluctant to ditch my achievement of a maximum level character? Probably, this refers more to the psychology of games though, and how we rationalize time spent and creates this attachment.

Yeah but MMO's seem like more of a job these days.

Free to play means pay to win.

  MumboJumbo

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/18/10
Posts: 3117

Veni, Vidi, Converti

4/13/11 3:31:35 PM#54
Immersion is still possible in some of the amazing worlds in mmos eg far, strange lands or the depths of space ["Hey, who wants to hear a Chuck Norris joke?")... In fact story instances in some recent/upcoming mmos are just that to add immersion far from the maddening crowd! Immersion comes about when you concentrate on something (working out skills or story) and become oblivious to time. Obviously any RP/otherworld immersion depends on how successfully the world is built/interactions/story created and how well distractions can be avoided. Even a simple dungeon crawler can be immersive if a small group has a few laughs and tight corners etc but Story in themepark MMOs improving is good development IMO to frame the contained gameplay eg quests, dungeon runs etc... as long as grind is reduced (apathy) and cohesive in-game rules and behavior of other players adheres to the game idea (avoiding frustration).
  Torik

Elite Member

Joined: 1/02/09
Posts: 2312

4/13/11 3:40:42 PM#55
Originally posted by Meltdown

But I disagree on the timesink breaking immersion, maybe calling them a timesink causes a knee-jerk reaction to the idea. But the more time you spend away from the computer the less immersion you have, so keeping the player in front of the monitor is a must, whether the mechnic is a mindless grind or an epic quest either you time is passing as you are sitting in front of your computer.

I was very immersed in UO until I was introduced to EZ Macro and the power hour came out, then it become just another game where you grinded out your skills to the max level. Another example for me is Rift (although there might be other reasons why immersion was broken for me there) but I hit max level within 2 weeks and it was so fast that I had no attachment to the character and just quit the game. If it had taken me longer would I have been more reluctant to ditch my achievement of a maximum level character? Probably, this refers more to the psychology of games though, and how we rationalize time spent and creates this attachment.

I have always been good at multi-tasking so for me it is easy to do stuff in a game on auto-pilot while thinking about something else.  So I could be grinding out mobs in the game while thinking about an episode of a TV show I saw the day before.  I am immersed in the TV show but not the game.  The game will not immerse me unless I need to do some actual problem solving rather than just rote repetition. 

While for soem people rote repetition might create immersion, for me it will quickly disconnect my mind from the gameworld.  This is similar to when I am doing my morning commute to work, I barely remember the trip but remember the other stuff I thought about during that time. 

  Meltdown

Hard Core Member

Joined: 8/09/03
Posts: 1189

4/13/11 3:58:48 PM#56
Originally posted by Torik
Originally posted by Meltdown

*snip*

I have always been good at multi-tasking so for me it is easy to do stuff in a game on auto-pilot while thinking about something else.  So I could be grinding out mobs in the game while thinking about an episode of a TV show I saw the day before.  I am immersed in the TV show but not the game.  The game will not immerse me unless I need to do some actual problem solving rather than just rote repetition. 

While for soem people rote repetition might create immersion, for me it will quickly disconnect my mind from the gameworld.  This is similar to when I am doing my morning commute to work, I barely remember the trip but remember the other stuff I thought about during that time. 

So thinking about something other than the game breaks immersion for you, makes sense. Again I think I took too broad of a definition of "time-sink" meaning any action in-game that eats up time. Google define on timesink: "Something that consumes a great deal of time". What I should've said was not only does it have to take up time, but it also has to hold your attention. I would say that things that hold your attention for brief periods of time (a smartphone app game perhaps) will never be immersive because your time invested is so low. So just being interesting isn't enough, it has to hold interest for long periods of time. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

  LydarSynn

Novice Member

Joined: 12/14/03
Posts: 164

4/13/11 4:13:08 PM#57

I think the biggest thing that breaks immersion is that there is no sense of reality at all in any of these games. When MMOs were new and the game mechanics were not completely understood (i.e there was little concept of end game), it was easier to become immersed. Once you have played a half dozen of these games, you know what the game is all about. Sure, there are different graphics and mechanics but in the end, your character is simply an immortal fighter, mage, crafter or whatever. While most of these games are built on fantastic premises, there is no consistent reality other than one- you cannot die or even lose anything except some time that you played. The world is static and the player cannot affect it at all. The econmies of most games are also completely unrealistic.

IMO immersion can only really come from playing in a world that is somewhat believeable. Believalbe means that there is some risk to the player of loss and not just from death. Also, the players have to be able to affect the world and change it for better or worse. That also means putting limitations on what one player or a small group can do.

However as another poster put it, your mileage may vary as far as immersion and some may be able to forget all that I just mentioned and be really immersed in the current crop of MMOs.

  Skuldin

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/30/07
Posts: 83

4/13/11 4:46:03 PM#58

I think the biggest thing that breaks immersion is that there is no sense of reality at all in any of these games. When MMOs were new and the game mechanics were not completely understood (i.e there was little concept of end game), it was easier to become immersed. Once you have played a half dozen of these games, you know what the game is all about. Sure, there are different graphics and mechanics but in the end, your character is simply an immortal fighter, mage, crafter or whatever. While most of these games are built on fantastic premises, there is no consistent reality other than one- you cannot die or even lose anything except some time that you played. The world is static and the player cannot affect it at all. The econmies of most games are also completely unrealistic.

IMO immersion can only really come from playing in a world that is somewhat believeable. Believalbe means that there is some risk to the player of loss and not just from death. Also, the players have to be able to affect the world and change it for better or worse. That also means putting limitations on what one player or a small group can do.

However as another poster put it, your mileage may vary as far as immersion and some may be able to forget all that I just mentioned and be really immersed in the current crop of MMOs.

===================================================================================================

This was the best post of this thread. Very well said.  The current MMO is not an RPG any longer.  There are no choices and no consequences and when you lose those you lose immersion and for me you start to back away from the genre. I'm not sure how many games are going to have to come out and have a smaller population than anticipated or flop completely before developers realize the only way to get a large group of gamers to keep playing their game is to change the formula back to choice and consequences.

WoW is nothing more than a chat room with graphics. MMO it is, RPG it is not. It is difficult to be immersed in such a shallow game. This was purposeful however, as Blizzard made the MMORPG mainstream and "easy".  They turned a group based gaming culture and turned it into a single-player game with grouping side options. They made the game easy and arcady and in my humble opinion ruined the genre possibly forever.  Now devs see money instead of love. They develop all these new games and they have no soul. 

In my opinion the next "big" mmo will be the one with the most character depth, it doesnt need gear grinds, it needs character development time-sinks and gear upgrades need to be fewer and farther between. 

WoW will still have its 12-16 year old crowd and its soccer moms that want to collect fuzzy mini-pets and mounts, but the true gamers will flock back to a game meant to be difficult yet fun, exciting and dynamic.  Maybe I am obsessed but I dream everyday about helping to develop such a game. :)

 

Thirty years of gaming experience...not sure if I should be proud of that
www.mmoexaminer.blogspot.com

  Acmegamer

Novice Member

Joined: 7/16/10
Posts: 337

4/13/11 7:54:36 PM#59

 Mechanics info doesn't jolt me out of the immersion, it is the players and the things they say and do in the game. I can filter out mechanics as a normal part of the gaming enviroment just fine. :)

 

  Venger

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/03/04
Posts: 1322

Help Fight Global Warming
Shut Your Mouth :D

4/16/11 3:21:17 PM#60

Well you are playing what someone else thinks your character should be, playing through their story, everyone is funneled to the same end game.  There is very little customization, you are just another "insert character class/level" in a sea of many.

I'd say no.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search