Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Star Trek Online

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,585 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,240,883
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

CitiesXL

CitiesXL 

General Discussion  » Love it, Want it, but I have questions first for the devs...

8 posts found
  chaintm

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/02/04
Posts: 977

"Shutting down threads sense 2004"

 
OP  9/30/09 9:20:32 PM#1

There are few things that I could never get answered that I really want to know. I do see devs post here once and awhile, so hopfully they can respond to my questions below. Others are welcome to respond if they found answers to these questions as well.

I am a huge sim city fan, needless to say after finding out about this game from word of mouth I tried the demo. Yes, there were bugs and some issues, nothing that I wouldn't expect in a beta/demo. When installing the demo and reading all the info that was actually little, the one thing it said was "this is only 10% of what is actually in the game" so to this end I would like to know if the following details are actually in the upcoming release...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Details- Do we actually see the lights on the cars at night, how about the stop lights changing color with traffic? Details are what made sim city that much more fun to play. I also noticed the ferris wheel wasn't animated , is this stuff planned? How are the devs going to handle these updates etc if I buy a monthly sub.

2. Sounds- One big erk was the sound, there was sound such as clicking on a building and getting a relative sound to a business or factory and other click noises. However, while the cities looks fantastic there was no ambiant sounds or details in sounds you would hear in a city, is there such a thing in the full game? What more can you add to this?

3. MP World Play- I am very excited about the idea I can build a few cities up and start trading basicly with myself in these resources, as the game progresses and I have my maximum I will obviously need to trade with my fellow neighbors (Other players) I read about special server rules. One I was curious on was the ability for your neighbor to effect your city, IE we compete for resources, trade, population etc working off the same resource data maybe? Is there plans for compition like this?

4. Re-visit Details- While the base mechanics is needed in a city sim (no doubt about it ) I like what is there, so I really have no issues with the mechanics of the game, I find it enjoyable , easy to get into and can imagine after maxing my one city in the demo, hard to master. I would thou again like to refer back to the details of the game, for me there is nothing more pleasing , then to get my city to a status I am happy with at one point ,then walk around  and see, hear, feel all the action around me. Will details constantly be added to give us more emmerision?

5. Real world mechanics- I did mention in #4 I love the mechanics as is, which I do, this question is more related to real world events (Probably should have said that in the start) and if they are planned or in the game. For instance I build my police department and will see the action of my police pull over speeders, take care of issues at businesses or homes? Same with the f ire department.  While it would be great to directly interact with this, my thougth is just the animation or "scene" that appear occasionally based on stats of a building or area? Helping you deterim factors along with your actual numbers while adding flair of again emerssion to the game. Is this planned ? Or do you at least like the idea? :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats about it, I did again find some bugs (IE click on a car and go for a ride but sometimes you can't get away from the camera lock ) and I would like to assume many of these have been crushed in the full version.

While I like the design of the Cities XL site, it really is lacking in details of things mentioned here in this post. Well thats it, and hope to read a dev response soon! Others are welcome to answer ofcourse ;)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

  Bountytaker

Novice Member

Joined: 1/09/07
Posts: 323

10/01/09 3:23:11 PM#2
Originally posted by chaintm

There are few things that I could never get answered that I really want to know. I do see devs post here once and awhile, so hopfully they can respond to my questions below. Others are welcome to respond if they found answers to these questions as well.

I am a huge sim city fan, needless to say after finding out about this game from word of mouth I tried the demo. Yes, there were bugs and some issues, nothing that I wouldn't expect in a beta/demo. When installing the demo and reading all the info that was actually little, the one thing it said was "this is only 10% of what is actually in the game" so to this end I would like to know if the following details are actually in the upcoming release...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Details- Do we actually see the lights on the cars at night, how about the stop lights changing color with traffic? Details are what made sim city that much more fun to play. I also noticed the ferris wheel wasn't animated , is this stuff planned? How are the devs going to handle these updates etc if I buy a monthly sub.

2. Sounds- One big erk was the sound, there was sound such as clicking on a building and getting a relative sound to a business or factory and other click noises. However, while the cities looks fantastic there was no ambiant sounds or details in sounds you would hear in a city, is there such a thing in the full game? What more can you add to this?

3. MP World Play- I am very excited about the idea I can build a few cities up and start trading basicly with myself in these resources, as the game progresses and I have my maximum I will obviously need to trade with my fellow neighbors (Other players) I read about special server rules. One I was curious on was the ability for your neighbor to effect your city, IE we compete for resources, trade, population etc working off the same resource data maybe? Is there plans for compition like this?

4. Re-visit Details- While the base mechanics is needed in a city sim (no doubt about it ) I like what is there, so I really have no issues with the mechanics of the game, I find it enjoyable , easy to get into and can imagine after maxing my one city in the demo, hard to master. I would thou again like to refer back to the details of the game, for me there is nothing more pleasing , then to get my city to a status I am happy with at one point ,then walk around  and see, hear, feel all the action around me. Will details constantly be added to give us more emmerision?

5. Real world mechanics- I did mention in #4 I love the mechanics as is, which I do, this question is more related to real world events (Probably should have said that in the start) and if they are planned or in the game. For instance I build my police department and will see the action of my police pull over speeders, take care of issues at businesses or homes? Same with the f ire department.  While it would be great to directly interact with this, my thougth is just the animation or "scene" that appear occasionally based on stats of a building or area? Helping you deterim factors along with your actual numbers while adding flair of again emerssion to the game. Is this planned ? Or do you at least like the idea? :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats about it, I did again find some bugs (IE click on a car and go for a ride but sometimes you can't get away from the camera lock ) and I would like to assume many of these have been crushed in the full version.

While I like the design of the Cities XL site, it really is lacking in details of things mentioned here in this post. Well thats it, and hope to read a dev response soon! Others are welcome to answer ofcourse ;)


 

The demo is, for all intents and purposes, the game.  The 10% basically refers to the buildings available, and not really any "mechanics".  There aren't any "special" mechanics, like special trading, ordinances, etc in the full version.

The details are about it as well.  The cities are pretty static in the game.  You plop a building, it grows, and then that's it.  No changes as the economy adjusts....areas of your city don't get "depressed" or "gentrified".  Over and over again, testers called the game "dead", "lifeless", and static.

The sound you got is pretty much it.

And, most disappointing to the folks here....the mmo portion is pretty non-existant.  There's no motivation for competition, or cooperation.  Having a neighbor means nothing.  A single lane road built to any edge of the map allows you to trade internationally, and interplanetarily.  Seriously.  You can trade with someone on another planet.  Being next to someone means nothing.  As of my last reading, trade with your own cities was going to be stopped, due to some pretty significant cheating that was discovered in the beta.

There was a 25 page thread on the beta forums about how to improve the mmo aspect of the game.  It was, basically, ignored.  That should tell you a lot.  The blueprints are non-competative.

They said for over a year that they woulddo speciality servers with capped populations(as opposed to at release).  As of a few weeks before release, they reiterated that, but gave no indication where in the VERY LONG post release development cycle they will fall. (As of right now, ONLY the mmo players can expect "buses" sometime around Christmas)

 

  Bountytaker

Novice Member

Joined: 1/09/07
Posts: 323

10/01/09 3:39:20 PM#3

Oh, and you asked about police stations:

 

Police stations, fire stations, and hospitals act the same as basketball courts, bowling alleys, and parks.

 

That is, they only make citizens "happy", which prevents them from moving out.  They have no connection to any type of "crime" mechanic.  They don't decrease crime, or prevent crime, or have any type of protection radius.  (same for firestations vs. fire)  It doesn't connect to your cities growth, so much as prevents its decrease in population.

 

Basically, at different points, your citizens become randomly "unhappy", and start to move out of neighborhoods (which just keep the empty houses mind you).  You simply have to identify what would make them "happy" (leisure/service), and then build it on a road that goes by the neighborhood.  As long as you've picked the right one, they'll move back in.  That's the only way the game recognizes police/fire/hospitals.  It does nothing special for them.

 

Other than those buildings, you'll spend most of the time individually plopping employment buildings to get the right balance with your residents.

  urbanmech

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/06/04
Posts: 161

10/05/09 3:13:21 PM#4

Terrible game, boring and lifeless.

If you want a good city builder, you should still stick with Sim City 4.

This game shouldn't be on MMORPG.COM, it has no multiplayer, just a chat room.

  jonyak

Novice Member

Joined: 3/16/07
Posts: 342

10/06/09 12:42:28 PM#5

This game is horrible and not worht the time to even install it.

 

stay far away from the game and the companies money milking practices.

  Vhaln

Novice Member

Joined: 7/07/05
Posts: 3167

10/07/09 2:20:33 PM#6

People keep mentioning SimCity 4, but how does this compare to Monte Cristo's previous game, City Life? Reason I ask, is because I can't recall if that game had the sort of details being discussed here, but I thought it was a great game. Much better than SimCity Societies, which despite having those sorts of details, I found to be much less interesting and immersive.

Not to say those sorts of details aren't important, but maybe Monte Cristo has a different sort of focus than Maxis, and makes city building games that are good in a different sort of way. For SimCity fans, those differences might take some getting used to, but seems like people are being overly critical of this game - unless its not even a step up from City Life..?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

  urbanmech

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/06/04
Posts: 161

10/07/09 3:05:09 PM#7
Originally posted by Vhaln

People keep mentioning SimCity 4, but how does this compare to Monte Cristo's previous game, City Life? Reason I ask, is because I can't recall if that game had the sort of details being discussed here, but I thought it was a great game. Much better than SimCity Societies, which despite having those sorts of details, I found to be much less interesting and immersive.

Not to say those sorts of details aren't important, but maybe Monte Cristo has a different sort of focus than Maxis, and makes city building games that are good in a different sort of way. For SimCity fans, those differences might take some getting used to, but seems like people are being overly critical of this game - unless its not even a step up from City Life..?


 

Sim City Societies was also garbage, and should never have had the Sim City name on it.

CitiesXL is pretty much City Life 2, which compared to Sim City 4, is not even close to a good city builder.

CitiesXL lacks a changing city, zones that grow or change based on how you develop the area. You can't improve areas in CitiesXL, you have already pre-determined the "class" of people who will be living in that area. And as someone pointed out already, there is no crime, education level, or fire. You simply put these buildings in to make people happy, so they'll move in, no dynamic to it at all.

On top of all that, for some reason the city and its mayor (you), have to manage leasure buildings for you people. City funded bowling alleys? what??

  Vhaln

Novice Member

Joined: 7/07/05
Posts: 3167

10/08/09 6:25:47 AM#8
Originally posted by urbanmech

CitiesXL is pretty much City Life 2, which compared to Sim City 4, is not even close to a good city builder.

 

Seems like they have different goals, though.  Sim City 4 may be the deeper game, but I really like how in City Life, you build a city you can practically walk around in.  Just seemed to me that allowing the player to get that up-close and personal with their city came with certain trade offs.  Might also mean they're aiming for a somewhat different audience.

I think that's why SimCity Societies was made.  For that audience, to compete more directly with City Life.  Problem is, they didn't really get it right.  They seemed to think of it as a dumbed down SimCity, but even if there is some truth to that, there's also more to it than that.

 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.