The Diablo 3 patch leading up to the release of the Reaper of Souls expansion in March was released in North America yesterday and in the EU today. With the update, Diablo III becomes something completely new and is, for all intents and purposes, a true game changer.
The patch brings so many new features and game-altering experiences to D3 that it's difficult to synthesize them all into a relatively short post but here are the highlights:
- Loot 2.0: Players may now find less loot but will find better, more class appropriate loot. From the short time I've been in the game since the patch released, all I can tell you is that my level 60 Barbarian is completely re-geared, including a brand new Legendary.
- Paragon 2.0: All Paragon points can now be distributed account-wide and can be used to enhance Offensive, Defensive, Core and Utility skills
- Monsters that scale with your level
- Normal, Hard, Expert, Master and Torment modes
- Cursed events that come in the form of cursed chests and even the return of Monster Shrines
- Items as rewards for quest completion in addition to gold and XP
- A complete reworking of all character skills and abilities. It's going to take players time to figure out better and more powerful combinations and break away from the monotony of "cookie cutter" builds
- New and powerful aura effects around elite monsters that don't just hurt, they kill...and fast
- The ability to resurrect on your body, at the last checkpoint or in town after dying
- Guilds and Communities