The Next Great Starship is a modding contest that will award one winning team $30,000 USD and a chance to have their very own spaceship used in this upcoming space sim game.
A total of 270 teams representing 65 countries entered the competition. The judging panel includes members from Star Citizen’s art, design and animation teams, in addition to Chris Roberts himself. Celebrity judges will appear in later episodes. The judges already have narrowed the initial list of entries to the top 24 teams.
Every week after that, each team will provide work-in-progress videos to the panel and face the possibility of elimination (judges can save teams and the community also has a vote on who stays and who leaves). It all culminates in The Next Great Starship finale airing on June 7 from Los Angeles where the champion team will be crowned and awarded $30,000 in cash.
“The quality of the entries has been amazing,” said Chris Roberts, co-founder and CEO of Cloud Imperium Games. “And we had quite a variety of entrants including a husband and wife team, a father and son team, several high school level teams, automotive designers, bartenders, DJs, filmmakers and of course several professionals from the gaming industry. It just shows the breadth of our fan base and the numbers themselves show the excitement that our community is bringing to this competition. I can’t wait to see the final result and fly the winner’s ship in Star Citizen myself.”
- GRAND PRIZE: $30,000 in cash for the team members. Your Great Starship is included in Star Citizen and each member of your team receives the first production models off the press! As well as Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite, Maya Premium and one high-end AMD based system with Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)
- SECOND PLACE: $10,000 in cash for the team members. Alienware laptop, Autodesk Maya 2014, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)
- THIRD PLACE: $5,000 in cash for the team members. Autodesk Maya LT, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)
- SPECIALTY PRIZE: (to the most valuable player out of the remaining contestants among the final three teams voted on by the judging panel): One Cintiq Companion, the new Windows 8 “Make the World your Studio” tablet from Wacom
- FINALIST TEAMS 4 THROUGH 16: $250 in RSI Credits (non-transferable/non-refundable)
Star Citizen is a crowd funded game that officially launched on October 10 of 2012. Since that time Roberts’ company has raised more than $37.5 million from backers all over the world making Star Citizen the top ranking crowd funded project ever.
The amount of money that Chris Roberts has raised for this game is absolutely staggering. It is nice to see that a game being able to be created due to the generosity of its community is able to give back to its community. Not to mention it was only a matter of time before someone made a reality TV series out of video game creation. I'm almost surprised this didn't end up on TLC... (kidding).
We will continue to cover the outcome of this contest here on MMORPG.com but you can also watch the episodes for yourself at http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd
You can see a video for the contest here in the previous announcement.