MMORPG Maker XB is, in our opinion, hands down the most advanced web application in the world (and still is at the time of this writing).
In development since 2009, MMORPG Maker XB went into public beta around mid-2010.
In its initial public beta release, MMORPG Maker XB already included the following:
- Provides functionality not present in desktop applications.
- Full GUI web application. Looks just like a desktop GUI application. The UI library was written from scratch and totaled over 100kb of pure code.
- Real compiler. No intermediate bytecode or interpreter. Compiler, parse tree generator, lexical analyzer, and more. Compiles from high level scripting language created by MMORPG Maker XB to other lower level languages.
- Created the first solution for “true” real-time web communications inside the browser without Flash, Java, plugins, or other downloads. All other code available at the time of MMORPG Maker XB's first public release resorted to polling requests where a request was sent to the server every 5, 10, 15 seconds - a scenario which would not be acceptable for MMORPG games.
- 6-7 different languages used on the frontend including obscure languages such as VML. No other web application could boast more necessary language diversity.
- Four different languages on the backend.
- Highly scalable server. Server software included high performance features such as asynchronous I/O, non-blocking design, memory efficiency, vertical and horizontal scalability features, zoning system, and more. You can read more about this at: http://www.mmorpgmakerxb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70
- One of the first web browser game engines requiring no downloads. If not the first - it was certainly the most powerful.
- Cross-platform game engine supported all operating systems including Windows, Mac, Linux, and 95%+ of web browsers including IE6+, Safari 4+, Firefox 3.5+, and Chrome 5+.
- Mobile game engine supported iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android, and HP webOS. Mobile game engine ran inside mobile web browser (and not a separate application which required downloading) -- and it ran smoothly as well.
- More platform support than all other professional game engines at the time.
- Game engine supported advanced techniques such as network latency masking.
- Developed a highly advanced system for users to create games without programming knowledge. Full WYSIWYG level editor. Sprites and animations editor, events editor, and more.
- Several advanced workarounds employed to get around problems such as the lack of browser hardware acceleration at the time. Features such as MMORPG Maker XB's "Layers" system - which used alpha transparency on large images - caused browsers to heavily lag or consume more processing power than necessary.
- Although only available in private beta, a feature was available to export created games to the desktop. This allowed users to create desktop applications and games inside their web browser!
- All of this was done with no Flash, no Java, no plugins, and no downloads!