(English is not my native Language so, please, be patient and point out any gross mistake in your comments ... thank you).
Stray Bullet Games (the company formed last year from the ashes of Wolfpack Studios), the current maintainer of the five years-old strategic MMO Shadowbane, has decided to hit the reset switch a few days ago ... yes, they will completely reset all their 5 live servers. Patch 22 - the update responsible for the "Shadowbane Reboot" - has already been applied to the Test Server and, well, players seem pretty happy with this decision.
"It would be best for the longetivity of the game" - said the developers recently - because "there are certain items in game that make it unbalanceable".
These may be good news for the community of the game, in my opinion, because all the players will soon have the opportunity to start from scratch in a virgin, persistent universe and - for a game this old and rusty - this could have a beneficial effect.
Why should this interest us MacHeads?
Well, the client for Shadowbane is completely free and runs on the Mac. To be honest, it's a bit buggy and PPC-only but runs pretty well on all Macs that use Intel processors. Oh, and there is no monthly fee (from March 17th, 2006 to be precise).
In case some of you are thinking to give Shadowbane another try, here's some valuable advice:
- do not use the old retail DVDs ... download the Mac client from here, instead
- start using this "safe" arcanepref.cfg configuration file and check if the game performs well (you will have to put this in the Shadowbane/Config folder)
- do not play in windowed mode and do not change the resolution and the aspect/ratio of the game until you feel acquainted with the array of settings options of Shadowbane ...
- if you can't stand the default UI (I can't), try the wonderful Vengeance UI (it comes in three flavours, red, blue and grey)
- if you are new to the game, the Morloch Wiki is a nice place to start ...
- and finally, there's a short Getting Started guide in PDF format on the official website.