So the basics of how this system would work, both garnered from previous points and my own thoughts:
1. Said resources should dwindle slowly, i.e. several years, not a few months.
2. Resources that are finite should never EVER fade out of game in any way, but rather change forms.
3. Accounts that hold any finite resource that cease to log in should start losing resources at some rate through least valuable resources first to the most valuable in the end. People who choose to use this to troll by holding a ton of resources hostage but login only periodically should lose them all if discovered to be doing this (Community ALWAYS figures people like this out, trolls smell too much)
4. As resources become harder to get, alternate means of resources should be discoverable to make up for it all.
5. Players ingame should be able to have their resources stolen somehow. This way, those players who try to run a server by withholding all the resources and basically acting like moguls are not impervious to attack.
6. Again, it should be impossible to destroy a finite resource off the server.
7. Nothing is soulbound.