So, after a brief stint in the WAR preview, I decided to buy the game and subscribe. A couple of friends have since joined me and we are having a blast so far.
Things I Enjoy:
- Public quests are a great way to incorporate "events" into the normal flow of the PvE game. Pretty much every game I have ever played, I have thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if there were more zone events?" WAR has them in the form of public quests and they are generally quite fun.
- I like the fact that I can jump into PvP immediately and be viable. Somewhere around level 3-4, I queue for scenarios and do so as often as possible.
- The RvR combat I have experienced so far has ranged from so-so (when no one was in the zone, or there was a big imbalance between the sides), to amazing, with battles swinging back and forth over hotly contested objectives.
- I enjoy the fact that there is no disincentive to PvP. I level in PvP. I gain reknown which means better gear. The death penalties are minor... except that I now have to run back to the battle.
- I enjoy the team-oriented combat. Every character type has its role and working togther in those roles is key to winning a battle.
Things I Don't Enjoy Quite as Much
- Aside from public quests, the PvE game is passable, but uninspired -- though I have not yet gone into any of the instanced dungeons yet. It is certainly no worse than any of its predecessors, but certainly no better.
- Public quests require at least a few players to complete. Sometimes, you stumble on one and there is no one around and you know it is a lost cause.
- So far, this has been one of the least communicative groups of players I have ever experienced in a game. Which is odd for a game that is so teamwork focused... Could be the sub-par chat interface.
- There are some wacky glitches here and there. Certain UI elements don't stay where you placed them when you log out and back in. Combat issues occassionally leave a creature "Out of Range" when he is obviously in range.
- Crafting is a little wonky in that if you take Talisman Making and don't take Magical Salvaging, you are going to have a very difficult time leveling your skill until you can get to an auction house.
All in all, a great time and I wholly recommend it to anyone who has even a passing interest in PvP games.