Written by MOTORMOUTH
Public and Community Relations Manager, Playnet Inc.
As Campaign #66 rolled on, preparations were under way to launch a new scenario to replace the standard Intermission set-up we've run for so many years. Encouraged by the overwhelmingly positive feedback from last summers "BeachHead Breakout" we are proud to present a new mini-campaign scenario: The Battle Of The Bulge! Join us as we set the stage to recreate this historic conflict. It's up to you to decide if history will be replayed or if it will be re-written!
Battle of the Bulge
A Mini Campaign Scenario
In late 1944, in the wake of the allied forces' successful D-Day invasion of Normandy, France, it seemed as if the Second World War was all but over. But on December 16, with the onset of winter, the German army launched a counteroffensive that was intended to cut through the Allied forces in a manner that would turn the tide of the war in the Axis army's favor. The battle that ensued is known historically as The Battle of the Bulge.
Allied Objectives at outset:
- Reunite 605e Regiment de Pioneers with the rest of 4e Groupe de Reconnaissance in Bastogne (this to simulate the arrival of the 4th Armored division to break the Bastogne siege)
- To cut off the bulge and straighten out the line from the region around Aachen to the region around Trier
German objectives at outset:
- Capture Spa (this to simulate the capturing of the American fuel dumps located there)
- To capture Brussels or Antwerp, the capture of both will be a resounding achievement although it isn't expected to be all that doable and is not a condition of victory (it wasn't even remotely possible as a consequence of the real battle although it was intended)
There are two battles to be fought in this pocket, one in the northern sector of the bulge and one in the south, and both are equally important to both sides. In terms of "complete victory" there are two outcomes possible in support of that, both being listed as objective #2 in the list above.
For the first 2 days of the event there will be no bombers in the air brigades, and no bomb carrying aircraft, since in the real battle air power played no part initially due to the weather conditions that we can't re-create on the live server at this time. We will have fighters available so that players who like to play fighter pilot against other fighter pilots may do so. On day 3 some fighter bombers and Stukas will become available.
Starting lines are set to reflect about Day 3 of the real battle, Bastogne under siege and surrounded!
- If any cut off and surrounded forces (Allied or German) fail to be relieved inside the pocket rule time (12 hours), they will suffer the normal process of progressive routing from their positions.
- If at the start of day 2, the Germans have failed to capture Spa, they will lose 25% of their armored forces (all armored vehicles) due to lack of fuel reserves
- If at the start of day 2, the Allies have failed to reunite the brigade 605e RdeP with their 4e GdeR division in Bastogne, the French brigades (simulating the Americans) will lose 20% of their infantry forces (all infantry) due to lack of being relieved
The above conditions have to be implemented on a global basis, ie: not applied to individual brigades. Consider them as incentives to focus game-play on specific objectives loosely related to the actual event rather than literally related.
- If at the start of day 3, the Germans have failed to capture Spa, they will lose another 25% of their armored forces (all armored vehicles) due to lack of fuel reserves
- If at the start of day 3, the Allies have failed to reunite the brigade 605e RdeP with their 4e GdeR division in Bastogne, the French brigades will lose 20% of their infantry forces (all infantry) due to lack of being relieved
The ongoing progress of the event will continue as set out above, meaning a reduction in gear for every day you do not meet those early objectives, this consequently means that by the end of day 4 the Germans will have no tanks left and the Allies only 20% of their original infantry. The way to avoid this disaster happening to your side is of course to achieve and hold your objectives set under Day 2 conditions (ie: at the end of the first day of play)
Victory will be declared in favor of the Axis forces should they capture Brussels or Antwerp (or both if they're greedy!), or to the Allies if they successfully close the bulge off. If the overall victory hasn't happened after 4 full days of play we'll have to make a judgment call based on the actual state of the map or player demand, or a combination of both. If the overall majority of the players want to fight it out to a victory resolution beyond 4 full days of play, we'll roll with that.
We're thrilled to present this mini campaign to you all, in the hopes that players, old and new, will have a unique and exciting experience with this new format. Visit our page for daily updates!