So, ever wonder what MMORPG launches are the worst and best ever(in my opinion of course)? Well I think this dead horse can be beat a few more times and decided to make a list based on my own experiences with MMORPG's down through the years. I have been gaming on and off now since a teenager and my first experience with a 3D MMORPG was EverQuest and since then I have played or beta'd just about every MMORPG ever launched. Now I realize that some of you might disagree with me on my choice of what I consider to be a badly launched MMORPG and this is going to happen no matter what games I list here and in what order I put them in, but from my memory and what I experienced first hand - these are the five worst and best MMORPG launches I ever encountered.
Top Five Worst MMORPG Launches
5) World of Warcraft - Now I know I am going to catch flak for this because of the over all success of WoW. There is no denying that it is the king of MMORPG's, but if there is one thing that I will never forget was the horrible launch of this game. I remember how hard it was to get a server when it first launched. Blizzard almost blew it entirely when they launched WoW because despite the fact they had over a 500k people sign up for beta within 2 days(as I recall) Blizzard failed to totally anticipate the mad hoard of people that would purchase and play their game on day 1. Blizzard didn't have nowhere near enough servers to accommodate the mass of gamers that day and the queues to get on the existing servers was a whole other story unto itself. Then on top of it the servers that did go live and manage to stay up where so laggy in the starter zones that it was almost impossible to play. It took some people days if not a couple of weeks to finally get on and play due to this. Blizzard had to add server after server to accommodate the number of players and it took like a whole month to finally get enough servers and running to accommodate all the people that wished to play it. Because of this I give the game a number 5 spot on my list of worst MMORPG's launches ever.
WoW Queue Dance <<<Remember this?
4) Dark Age of Camelot - Nothing and I mean nothing prepared us players for the launch of DAoC. This game actually launched without MOB's being itemized and there was not a dungeon, as I recall in Hibernia that was itemized either, a few in Midgard and some in Albion. On top of that the number of bugs we encountered almost made you think that you were playing an Alpha version of the game. Yes...it really was that bad. I know people will tell me I am full of it...but I was there and I remember people getting on the message boards over at the vault network asking Mythic when they planned on getting itemized MOB's into the - took them a couple of months but they did finally get the majority of MOB's and dungeons itemized.
3) Asheron's Call 2 - Game launched almost flawlessly...almost, but what we players and beta testers found was not what we were told we'd find. The live version of AC2 was no different then the game was in the final stage of beta - there was no miracle patch...and many of the things that we were told we didn't see in beta would be launched with the live version of the game. When we discovered the truth Turbine producers put out a letter begging us to give the game a chance and to become pioneers to help them make the game better. The game was so full of bugs, holes and exploits it become a laughing stock of the game community almost over night. The rants from pissed off players got so bad after the the game lost it chat servers that IGN literally made a separate forum for disgruntled players to voice their complaints about the poorly executed and implemented game. We all know the final outcome of the game because Turbine eventually had to pull the plug on the servers.
2) Anarchy Online - A fitting name for an MMORPG that fell into anarchy on message boards all over the Internet. What can I say about what many consider to be the worst launched game in the history of MMORPG's. It was a total frikking nightmare. It was so full of bugs, and the servers were constantly crashing even if you could get on which was nearly impossible. OMG...3 months after launch, Funcom the creators of AO, almost went belly up...but through hard work, perseverance and help from on outside source Funcom saved AO from the depths of the dead games abyss and turned AO around. It wasn't pretty at launch, but it did finally become stable and a very fun game to play. Took Funcom about a year, but they did it. Still a bad launch...but even it was not the worst.
1) Three way tie here, yep a three way. What I consider to be the worst 3, yes 3 worst launches in the history of MMORPG's - ever!
3a)Star Wars Galaxies/NGE - Oh this one was so bad it makes almost all other game launches look flawless. Seriously. This thing was so full of bugs it wasn't even funny. The NGE even launched with an expansion that was not compatible with the launch of SWG/NGE and it caused SOE to offer a refund. SOE managed to piss off so many of their existing players the exodus from the game of its players numbered in the hundreds of thousands...it is estimated that of the 300k people that were playing it at the time of the NGE's launch that 250k players left the game in disgust. SWG to this day has never recovered from the launch of the NGE and SOE still struggles to get people to even play the game.
How bad was the NGE - tell me this wouldn't drive you crazy. NGE Tutorial - Better get on the Falcon kid <<< Ramp of Doom Video
2a) Dark and Light - Oh I know this game has its fans(all 3 of them), but to some of us it is one of the worst launches if not the worst launched MMORPG ever. What can I say that hasn't all ready been said or still being said about this game and its launch...plan and simple and in the general term used by most gamers - it was teh suxor. Yes it sucked - plan and simple.
1a) Realms of Torment aka Mourning - This was the number one worst launch in the history of MMORPG's. This games launch was so bad it stands as one of the most discussed games here on MMORPG.com. Gamers flocked to MMORPG.com and used it as their soapbox to spread the word about the game and its producer that it became the pariah of gamers all over the Internet. Eventually even MMORPG.com closed its doors to Mourning. Yes...Mourning was and is and stands as the worst launch of an MMORPG to date. No other MMORPG comes close to the debacle that was Mourning.
Next Installment of Teala's Wickedly Cool Blog - The 5 Best MMORPG Launches