As many of you likely know, on November 22nd, 2010, a milestone was reached in the PWI community: A player finally hit the 105 level cap! This silky smooth assassin's name is Kitamura, and she resides on Lost City Server, where she has been known to emerge from the shadows to strike fear into the hearts of all who see her (between FC sessions, that is).
Adding to her mystique is the fact that she leveled up to 105 without buying a single dollar's worth of ZEN!
One of our reporters recently caught up to Kitamura, and she was kind enough to answer some questions for us. What follows is this interview. And if anyone sees the reporter (he is likely wearing a PWE jacket), please notify our GM's immediately, as he hasn't reported back to the office since the interview was wired in...
1. How did you feel when you finally reached the level cap? Did you really think it was possible?
I felt great relief at accomplishing yet another goal in Perfect World. I felt that was possible to reach 105 back in May/June 2010 when I was doing experiments in frost with my brother to discover the best way to maximize the experience we could get out of the day limitations of Hyper Stones.
2. Not only did you hit the level cap, but you did it on Lost City, an ultra-competitive PVP server. Did the fact that it was PVP help or hinder your journey to 105, in your opinion?
I love the pvp side of this game, and on an Assassin the level matters, it's all about "see all and not been seen". When my sin was 100-101, I remember get killed very often by other higher sins that I couldn't see. This problem greatly affected decision to find a way to go till lvl103, but after figuring out how relatively easy it was to keep leveling, I just aimed a little further to 105. But being lvl 105 is bad in pvp (for my targets :P)
3. How long did it take to reach the cap and how often did you play?
When I reached 103 I was doing 36-40M XP/day in about 4H, so I was supposed to get 104 by the first week of August and 105 by the second week of September. But due some laziness and good TV shows, I only got 104 by end of September and 105 by end of November. I believe that with turning off my TV and 4H of daily frost, it's possible to level another assassin from level 1 till 105 in less than 4 months.
4. Since you didn’t spend any real money, do you think that you had to approach your gameplay differently from someone who purchases convenient items from the cash shop?
Yes, I have to dedicate a large amount of my time to farm. It's like having a second job inside a game, but it is what kept me interested in the game. I also have to think more in costs/consequences in what I do since a fun 1H PK session in west gate can make me have to farm for 3-4H more just to purchase back the Charms/Guardian Scrolls spent.
5. What have you enjoyed most about your experience playing Perfect World International?
The speed of the game, by the way it changes and get updated it looks more like a UnPerfect World looking for Perfection. Every week the variables change with maintenance; the introduction of updates or cash shop sales, etc. I have to re-evaluate the market, drop some strategies, and initiate new ways to keep funding my goals. I played others MMORPG before Perfect World and the updates/changes were more year based than week based, which leads to boredom and losing interest rather quickly.
6. Any advice you'd like to give to others who would like to accomplish what you've accomplished?
- Patience. Learn how to plan ahead and give time to reach your goals.
- Don't give up on market changes, it changes for all, just adapt and take advantages before the others do.
- Keep it secret, the lesser amount of people doing what you doing, the higher the profit.
- As good secrets are best kept that way, I shall not reveal more :P
So Congratulations to Kitamura, and good luck to all who wish to follow in her footsteps!