I have read in so many places that WoW is going to bite the dust. I can’t help but remember a couple of years ago when Quake was the king of fps’ and everyone was speculating on who would be the “killer.” With the next gen mmo’s coming out in the next couple of years let’s take a look why WoW is so successful and what it will take to dethrone WoW.
Points of WoW
- Over 9 million subscribers
- Small learning curb
- Tons of depth
- Minimal hardware specs
- Made and Published by a well known well respected company, Blizzard
What a killer will need
· Based on a huge IP
· Offers a great end game
· Can’t be higher than $15.00 a month
· Easy to learn interface
· Good PVP system
· Good Graphics that aren’t hardware intensive
· Plays on consoles
· Made by a respected developer
· Has a Retail
1. Age of Conan-Based on a very well known book series, much respected developer Funcom, Great pvp with sieges, will be on the Xbox 360 and will have retail. The only thing that isn’t known is how well it runs on “meh” computers and how much it will cost my guess though $15.00.
2. Warhammer Online- Based on a huge fantasy universe arguably bigger than D&D. This game has all the features on the list except it isn’t coming on console, which is still being “looked into.”
3. Guild Wars 2- Being F2P, great PVP and PVE, Going to update the graphics, more levels, made by Arenanet (creators of Diablo) and published by NCSoft. Even though Guild Wars did well in sales it would have been done even better if it would have been more hyped and Guild Wars 2 will.
4. Stargate Worlds- Just imagine going to a MGM movie and seeing a Stargate Worlds commercial right before you see the movie. Think how much buzz that would get. Plus with the all the features this game is going to have this really can be big.
5. The Agency- Not being based on an IP and being made by the devil SOE, why
Would I even put this on my list? Well, it has a very similar feel to James Bond
Which we all know is very famous. Also, as much as this community hates SOE for the NGE many people still like them for Everquest 1&2, Planetside, and making Vanguard playable. This game is coming for the PS3 and will have a great endgame PVP.
6. Huxley- This MMOFPS created by Webzen Games will have lots of PVP and will be out for the Xbox 360. This game will turn a lot of heads around.
7. Pirates of the Caribbean Online- Based on a very popular movie franchise this f2p item mall game has had commercials on TV and will be hit with families.
8. Star Trek Online- This MMORPG has gone through so many changes before it is even in beta. But it is based on a hugely popular franchise and its future is starting to look a little better with Cryptic now developing it.
9. Fallen Earth- A sandbox game that is set in the future will be very interested to see how this turns out when/if it does come out.