Online Games Forum Terminologies: Part 1
Courtesy of Google
An online game, believe me or not, will never be successful without a well managed community. Who would want to be in a game full of ill-mannered people anyways? Tight bonds between the players are usually formed in the game's forums; a place where the players can express their thoughts through posts and images. Given such, Moderators play an important role in keeping the interaction healthy amongst users. In order for them to pick the rotten tomatoes from the healthy ones, they have some terminologies/categories, or whatever you may call it, as their basis.
Here are some of the Terminologies that most of you may be familiar of:
1. Flaming - a hostile way of talking to other users. It projects as a form of bash or insult, verbally or nonverbally, which starts a derailed, unconstructive conversation. It attacks the person behind the figure/avatar which then results to a never ending exchange of bullets.
2. Necro - as the term implies, it revolves around the act of revival. It is usually associated with the threads that have been long forgotten or dead. You can do it by searching for a thread that has been made ages ago and post whatever it is that you wanted to post as a reply. Expect a series of bashing/trolling plus a couple of Moderator notices afterwards. This will indicate that you have successfully done a Thread Necro. Congratulations!
3. Trolling - the act of farming a provocative response or producing an off-topic reply. The term trolling has evolved through the years and has a lot of variations now. It has essentially lost its true meaning. It is needless to say that all of us here have heard of this term.
4. Spamming - the act of posting irrelevant replies or those that have no bearing to the ongoing discussion. It is usually done with the intent of increasing one's post count. It is sometimes interchanged with trolling.
5. Siggy - a.k.a. Signature. A part of your profile or post that contains either a picture or a message. Most of the forumers use this to express their personalities or insights. There are different size requirements based on the forum your on.
6. Creeper - someone who views your information but doesn't make any contact. Can be used interchangeably with Stalker.
7. xoxo - I'm not very sure about this but as far as I know, it means "hugs and kisses". Don't ask me why. I don't know how that made sense.
8. Bump - the same act as that of Necro but with a different intention. Usually, Bumping is allowed and legit while Necro isn't.
9. Nerf - to weaken, nullify or decrease one's capability or effectivity. This term is usually directed to skills and/or characters of a certain game which experienced a downgrade.
There are also some abbreviations but I won't be discussing them one by one as they differ per game. It will only end up as a huge wall of text. If you are playing a game, make sure to visit its forum and interact with other users, You may find your true love or your worst enemy there. Good luck! xoxo