Welcome to your ideal MMO. Last week, in Part 1, I asked what people wanted for Classes and Character Customization. I received quite a few responses, and I thank my readers for their feedback on this. It's good to hear what real players want.
So, what's next? The world you play (and live) in, of course. At first glance, this sub category seems huge - daunting, even - but I'll try to encompass most overall topics and try and get a feel of what people want as far as the world they interact with in an MMO.
Keep in mind we're assuming a post-apocalyptic world, here. We can assume a post-apocalyptic Earth for the sake of argument.
I've split the "World" category into three subcategories here: Design, Interaction, and Size
1. What level of realism do you expect/want in the world you interact with?
2. What game, in your opinion, has provided the best world to live and interact in?
3. What freedoms do you want in a world that haven't been provided before?
1. Should you be able to interact with almost anything (like in Elder Scrolls / Oblivion or Ultima Online) or do prefer a more static world (like World of Warcraft)?
2. Sandbox vs. non-Sandbox - what to you like, what do you want, and who's done it the best?
3. How much interaction with the world is required to keep you immersed?
1. How big do you expect a MMO world to be? What's your ideal size, in terms of content and explorability?
2. What are your thoughts on travel time - should you be able to quickly get to one edge of the world to another, through some magical or other means? Or do you prefer having to travel through, with considerable time, to some destinations? (ala EVE Online)
3. Do you prefer a centralized world with trading/hubs and marketplaces or do you want these services to be available in any guild town / small town that you come across? (Basically: should you be forced to travel to major hubs to do some things like sell / train / buy , etc?)
Designing a world is tough stuff! As always, please feel free to elaborate or expand on any of the ideas. Tell me the world you want to live in.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.