How NOT to promote your favorite MMOG:
1. "On the other, a bunch of PvE-loving weaklings, still suckling on the tit of their over-tolerant parents while they contemplate moving out of the basement next decade." Insult your audience, smart! *NOT*
2. "But in general I think they are destined to be less popular simply because it takes more brains and innovativity to be succesful in sand box style MMORPGs. And sadly since MMORPGs have become mainstream now it means that the average player has the brains the size of a peanut and want everything easy (read casual) so they wont be succesful in something that requires mental capacity and dedication so they wont play it." You want people to come play your game after calling them all idiots?
3. "EVE however, IS successful, but it is also a niche game for the simple fact that 1) The IP is not widely known, and 2) The gameplay isn't simplistic enough for the "average" gamer." Further insulting the "average" gamer.
4. "The graphic ain't that bad, I guess that you're blind? but everything else does suck." Translates to: "My opinion is better then yours! RAWR!"
5. "Your loss for having bad taste." "Your opinion isn't as good as my opinion!"
6. "Graphics? horrible? are you colorblind? maybe you have no sense of art, or color theory, or design ability or artistic cognitive thinking or extrapolation." "I use big words to insult people!"
7. "b/c WoW is for kids and alot of us dont like to deal with kids in mmorpg." I hate children! F the fun our youth are having! They don't deserve to have fun! Fun is reserved for snotty adults!
8. "Fact is, WoW was only successful because it was an entry level MMO, the next big hit will definitely be a more complex one, but developers haven't realized that yet. Asians and kids are the other reasons." Translation: "WoW is too simple for my COMPLEX MIND! Oh, and I also hate Asians and kids." lol
9. "Honestly, all the new jacks think WoW is where it began, and thats another big annoyance, sorry.... your crap game isn't nothing, and regardless of the population, the game will never flourish like old school mmos." I really LOL'd at this one. Flourish like old school MMOs? What?
10. "I think the main reson is that most devs see that WoW has 9 mil subs and assume its becuase thats what everyone wants so they try and emulate that. [in other words they are lazy]" "We shouldn't look at what works, but instead reinvent the wheel every time so that we aren't accused of being smart!"
Just a few examples I found around MMORPG.com
I may get in trouble for this, but the point is...
Think before you post.
Bashing on everything but your game, name-calling and blatant insult to people who play other games, and racism/sexism etc. etc. don't do ANYTHING to further promote your MMO of choice. In fact, they actually hurt it. I know when I see stuff like this, it makes me glad that I don't have to share my virtual space with people who obviously have no clue what is going on beyond their own noses.
To end, my favorite example of how NOT to promote your favorite MMOG -
11. "I was looking for a guild (perhaps to get into the beta) and realized that all the guild that seem to be interested in darkfall have flaming gay names.
Usually, these guilds have some sort of emo name that includes a reference to 'shadow', 'darkness', or something; and has some sort of paradoxial word like 'reverie', 'saga'.
Either that or just something like 'chaos', 'mayhem', 'damnation'. Think chaos space marines from DoW and you have these guilds all figured out.
Sometimes you get a gay guild that has taken it in the rear so hard and so many times that they decide to use a word like 'order', 'republic', 'nation'. This is to try to sound orderly, so people think they have jobs and wake up at 6am every day.
Where are all the cool guilds? Are there any mature darkfall guilds?"
Yes, because I'm sure a "mature" Darkfall guild would just LOVE to have someone so MATURE and TOLERANT as you.. hahahha..