AdBlockers And Their Effect On MMORPG.com
Our latest logs show that between 30-40% of users visiting MMORPG.com are running some sort of AdBlock plugin in their browsers.
Since we rely on impression based advertising for our revenues and adhere to the strict advertising policies we've created for ourselves this has a drastic effect on our ability to maintain this site to the highest standards possible.
In order to allow us to continue doing what we love and providing our users with free MMO specific content we respectfully ask that you whitelist MMORPG.com in your AdBlock plugin.
Our Advertising Practices Explained
MMORPG.com is a website 100% supported by advertising sales. We do not charge our users for any kind of content or premium level access. We believe strongly in keeping the site open and equally free to all members and visitors.
We use this revenue to pay employee salaries, cover the large industry shows, provide quality and timely content and keep a large hardware infrastructure running.
While we depend on advertising to survive, we also have very strict policies to make sure that the user experience is kept as high as possible and not to annoy our community.
Advertisements We Don't Run
- Pop-Up AdsA window that forcefully pops up on top of your browser with advertising or another website.
- Pop-Under AdsLike a pop-up window but it appears behind your browser waiting for you when you eventually close your browser.
- Interstitial AdsA page users are forced to view, usually with a large ad either on their first visit to a website or every so often during your stay.
- Advertorial ContentThis is content (like a preview, review, interview, etc) completely paid for by an advertiser and lacking any kind of journalistic integrity. We consider this appalling and would never consider doing this on our websites.
- Expanding BannersThis is usually a flash interactive banner that expands outside its normal size when hovered over or all on its own. Some extra annoying versions of this can have objects moving around the web page and be very tricky to close.
- Auto-Play Audio BannersThis is an advertisement that starts playing audio without the users consent. We only allow ads that have a clearly marked "audio" icon that starts in mute mode and requires the user to click to activate sound.
- Virtual Currency / Powerleveling ServicesWe do not allow advertising related to the sale of virtual currency or powerleveling services that violate the EULA of any video game.
Advertisements We Do Run
- Standard Banner AdsThis is an ad unit that is embedded as part of the webpage content. Our ad sizes are: 300x250, 160x600, 728x90, 468x60 and 200x200. Ads can be static (JPG or GIF) or interactive/video (Adobe Flash).
- Background SkinsThis is where the background of our page is themed to a particular game and the top center portion is clickable to the sponsors' link much like a banner ad. Note that we do not allow skins that are clickable on the sides of the page. We feel that this also annoys our users as they normally use this area to "set focus" on the browser or out of a page form element.
- Newsletter / Daily Digest AdsThese are paid static banners in our weekly newsletter and daily digest emails.
- Video Pre-RollsThis is a short video "commercial" that appears before a video or during a live streaming broadcast.
- Non-Linear Video AdAn overlay ad that runs while a video is playing showing text and/or images.